Last updated: 25/05/2022.
1 – INTRODUCTION
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, then please head over to our contact us page here and get in touch.
2 – WHO WE ARE
This Website is owned and operated by us, The Pet Centre Truro Limited, a company registered in England and Wales under company number 13841189. Our registered office is The Pet Centre Truro, 27 St. Marys Road, Par, England, PL24 2EX.
3 – WHEN DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We collect your personal information in a number of instances, including when you:
- Make an online purchase and check out as a guest (in which case we collect transaction-based data);
- Create an account with us;
- Purchase a product or service in store or by phone but don’t have (or don’t use) an account;
- Engage with us on social media;
- Contact us by any means with questions about a product or to raise a complaint;
- Ask one of our colleagues to email you information about a product or service;
- Comment on or review our products and services. Any individual may access personal information related to them, including opinions. So if your comment or review includes information about the colleague who provided that service, it may be passed on to them if requested;
- Fill in any forms. For example, if an accident happens in store, a colleague may collect your personal information;
- Have given a third party permission to share the personal information they hold about you with us;
- Phone us or we phone you, we may record phone conversations for record or training purposes; and/or
- Visit us in store which has a CCTV system in operation for the security of both customers and colleagues and for the prevention of crime. These systems may record your image during your visit.
4 – WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND WHY?
The personal information that we collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
INFORMATION THAT YOU PROVIDE VOLUNTARILY
When you make a purchase in store or online or subscribe for products under one of our subscription plans, you will be asked for some essential information including your title, first name, surname, postal address, email address, telephone, and, if applicable, payment information. These are collected to help us:
- Process your online orders including sending order confirmation and delivery information via email or text message, or process payments due to us;
- Contact you about your order, account or credit status where required;
- Deliver safe and secure shopping by helping to prevent and detect fraud – to do this, we may need to disclose information to assist legal or debt recovery processes;
- Manage and process your subscription plans;
- Speed up your form filling processes if you’ve registered online;
- Respond to any issues or queries via the customer service advisor teams;
- Conduct analytics to understand how our services are used and to improve your customer experience; and/or
- Notify you about changes to our service.
When you use our Websites as a registered or guest user, we also collect your email address and may contact you to let you know if you abandon a purchase part way through the process and have unpurchased items in your basket.
INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT AUTOMATICALLY
When you visit our Website we may collect certain information automatically from your device. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area, this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws.
Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include information like your IP address, device type, operating system, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location) and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Website including the pages accessed and links clicked.
Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to and use our Website. We may look at where they come from, what content is of interest to them, what they have viewed or looked at and in some instances what they have purchased. We use this information for internal analytics purposes, to improve the quality and relevance of our Website to our visitors and users.
Some of this information may be collected using cookies, tracking pixels and similar tracking technology, as explained further under the heading “Cookies and similar tracking technology”.
ENHANCING OUR DATA
Where we have obtained your personal information from various sources we may combine this information in certain circumstances in order to enhance our understanding of your requirements and preferences in relation to our products and services. This is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests to ensure that we provide you the most appropriate offers for products and services and to personalise your experience with us.
We will use the personal information we hold about you (as well as pseudonymised or anonymised information generated from your personal information) to carry out analysis and research. We carry out all such analysis and research on the basis that it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests in understanding our customers and ensuring that our products and services meet the needs of our customers. We undertake data analytics, whereby we combine information we hold on a large scale, in order to:
- Learn more about our customers and their preferences;
- To identify patterns and trends amongst our customers;
- Enhance user experience on our Website;
- Provide information, content and offerings tailored to our customers’ needs;
- For general research and statistical purposes;
- To help us develop new products and services;
- To monitor performance of our products and services.
We will use your personal information (including by anonymising and aggregating it with other customers’ personal information) for sales, supply chain and financial analysis purposes, to determine how we are performing and where improvements can be made. This is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests in understanding how our business is performing, and considering how to improve our performance.
5 – WHO DO WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- IT companies who support our Website;
- Operational companies such as delivery couriers;
- Customer review companies (so you can leave feedback and we can improve our service to you);
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights or apply our Terms and Conditions, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- to any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
Where we share your personal information with third party service providers and partners we apply a policy to ensure your personal information is safe and in order to protect your privacy. Our policy requires:
- We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services.
- They may only use your data for the purposes we specify in our contract with them.
- We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
- If we stop using their services, any of your personal information held by them will either be deleted or rendered anonymous (subject to applicable law).
If you have any questions about the third parties we share your personal information with then please head over to our contact us page here and get in touch.
6 – LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL INFORMATION
Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect personal information from you only (i) where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, (ii) where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms, or (iii) where we have your consent to do so. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
Similarly, if we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests (or those of any third party), we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
7 – COOKIES AND SIMILAR TRACKING TECHNOLOGY
8 – HOW DO WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION SECURE
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information. Specific measures we use include:
- Encrypting your personal information. When you place an order or access your account information, your information will be sent through to us. A secure server encrypts all of the information you input before it is sent to us. This protects your confidential data, particularly your credit card details from unauthorised use;
- Keeping your information up-to-date and accurate. Please note that, to do this, we require you to tell us if any of your details such as your name or address change; and
- Having in place strict security procedures for the storage and disclosure of your information to prevent unauthorised access.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to and/or through our Websites and Apps; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
9 – DATA RETENTION
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
10 – YOUR DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS
You have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided on our Contact Us page here.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided on our Contact Us page here.
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, see the section headed “contacting the regulator” below.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
11 – CONTACTING THE REGULATOR
If you feel that your personal information has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal information, you have the right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. You can contact them by calling 0303 123 1113 or go online to www.ico.org.uk/concerns (opens in a new window; please note we cannot be responsible for the content of external websites).
13 – HOW TO CONTACT US
You can contact us at any time using the contact details provided on our Contact Us page here.